Monday, May 7, 2012

Gender Reveal


Neal and I are extremely excited to announce that we will be having a little girl in the Fall of 2012! From day one, Neal just KNEW we were having a girl; at least he was really hoping for a girl.  I truly had no preference, as I would have been happy with either a boy or a girl (although I had an instinct that it was a girl), but now that I know we're having a girl, I'm over the moon excited! Of course, I'm already a little nervous about how much $$ we're going to be spending on her! She's already so spoiled and she's only the size of a mango! 

How we found out: I had a doctor's appointment to check the length of my cervix. Since I was 17 weeks and 2 days, I asked the tech if she would be able to check. She said "Sure! I don't see why we couldn't find out today!" We didn't want our moms to be in the room when we found out, so we kicked them out of the room. What we told them was, "Can you step out while we check the cervix?" so they had no idea we were going to look for boy or girl "parts." As soon as she started looking, I almost immediately saw three lines (From research I had done, I found out that if you see three lines or a "hamburger" it's a girl, but if you see a penis (duh!), it's a boy). So I said, "I think I see it! It looks like a girl!" Her response was, "I think you're right!" Now, I'm no doctor, so I really didn't trust what I saw, and to hear her say I THINK you're right... well, I still didn't believe her! So I said, "I won't go out buying lots of pink, but are you fairly certain it's a girl?" She smiled and said, "It's a girl." My response, "So you're what, like 95% sure?" She just smiled and said yes. I was expecting to hear, "Well, I think it's a girl, but I can't be certain, so we'll have to wait three weeks until your anatomy scan." SO GLAD SHE DIDN'T SAY THAT!! It was emotional, and of course I cried (happy tears), but I knew we didn't want the moms to know that we knew, so I had to gather myself when they came into the room. It was kind of hard not to tell them, but they didn't have a clue that we knew. Luckily, their attention was on the baby. We got to watch her "eat." She was making sucking motions with her mouth; such a cool thing to see, and it was so cute! But after a while, I could see Neal's mom looking at Neal, and then looking at me, and then looking back at Neal. Of course Neal and I started laughing and she bursted out "YOU KNOW, don't you?!?" We held our ground and didn't tell them! So, after we finished the ultrasound, the doctor came in, knowing we didn't want to tell the moms anything, so I said (still not 100% satisfied with the tech's certainty of the sex), "Just let me know if you agree with what the tech saw." He smiled really big and said yes! So, I saw it, the tech saw it, AND the doctor saw it, so I think we're pretty sure it's a girl!

SO, since I have a really bad memory, I always like to capture big moments on camera.  Below you will find links to how we made the big announcement! I wish we could have captured EVERYONE's reaction! I find so much joy in watching other people's emotions (the happy emotions!).

The Grandmas (April 25th): They went to the ultrasound with us, but they weren't in the room when we found out. On our way out of the hospital, we stopped at the gift shop and bought pink teddy bears for them. Watch the video here: http://youtu.be/bocWcVoWzb8 

The Grandpa (April 25th):When my mom got home from the appointment, she had my dad unwrap the same pink teddy bear. Watch the video here: http://youtu.be/5QlmGiBGKPM 

Sandy's Aunt & Godmother (May 4th): I wrapped a pink ribbon around my waist that said, "It's a girl!" Watch the video here: http://youtu.be/J6YIefCf_Sg 

For the rest of Sandy's family, we set up the baby room with LOTS of pink and asked them if they wanted to see the baby's crib. Here's what they walked into:
Sandy's sister (May 5th):: She came over to our house early, so we were able to reveal the room to her first. Watch the video here: http://youtu.be/MIgajJj8CXk

Sandy's Family (May 5th):This was difficult getting everyone on camera, but here's what we were able to capture. Watch the video here: http://youtu.be/SRJGhzsSkYM 





No comments:

Post a Comment