Thursday, August 23, 2012

Minor Scare!

On Monday evening, August 13, 2012, I had a run-in (literally) with our metal dog gate. I ran (hard) smack dab into the corner of the gate's door. The middle of my stomach took the brunt of the hit, which was pretty much hit from the top of my uterus to just below my belly button. It took my breath away! I just remember standing there for what seemed like minutes, hunched over in excruciating pain! Neal reassured me that the baby is protected inside of me and that there's plenty of fluid preventing her from feeling anything. Satisfied with his response, we went to bed.

The next morning my alarm clock woke me up at 6am. WHAT?!?! My alarm clock NEVER wakes me up anymore! Avery is usually moving around and giving me a wake up call around 5:30am. So I turned off the alarm (ok, I lied... I hit the snooze button), and rolled over. My stomach was hurting pretty bad, and then I remembered hitting the gate the night before. I suddenly thought about Avery. Why wasn't she moving?  I assumed she was just "sleeping in," so off to work I went. On my drive in to the office, I usually get some more of Avery's ninja kicks. But again, all was quiet downstairs. I was shaking my stomach with my hands, and thankfully I felt her move. It was very comforting to feel her move, but it was definitely a very different feeling than I'm used to. It was very faint. I know her moves, and these were definitely not normal.  At this point I started to worry. I thought I gave my child brain damage; I thought maybe my placenta detached; I thought maybe she had a "concussion." Every terrible thought ran through my mind as I sat in traffic.

When I got to work, I immediately called my doctor. Of course, I had to leave a voicemail (gotta love customer service these days). I decided to count kicks (which is what most pregnant women do around this stage of the pregnancy, but my doctor hadn't told me to start doing them yet). I was getting some VERY faint movements from her, but I was still counting them as "kicks."(I honestly couldn't tell if some of them were kicks or my breakfast settling!!)  I was able to get 10 light kicks in about 20 minutes. (According to the doc, if I didn't get at least 10 kicks in an hour, that's not a good sign.) So finally at lunch the nurse called back and had me do ANOTHER kick count. This time it took the entire hour to get 10 kicks. They didn't seem too concerned. But I was stressing about it ALL DAY!!

People kept telling me she was probably going through a growth spurt and was just sleeping more than usual, but I KNOW my baby and I KNOW what her kicks and movements feel like. This didn't seem normal to me, and it definitely didn't help me feel better to know that I hit my stomach so hard the night before. Luckily, I had a prenatal massage scheduled for that evening, so I thought it would be a good idea to get my mind off this situation for an hour. On my drive to my massage, she suddenly started moving... A LOT! She seemed to be back to her normal self again, performing her twists and rolls and kicks and jabs and making my belly look like a waterbed again!! And during my massage, I don't think she ever stopped moving!!! I'm guessing I just shocked/stunned her a bit? Or maybe it was just pure coincidence that she decided to sleep all day? I don't know and don't really care why she was so quiet, as long as she's moving around again like normal, I'm one happy momma!! :-)

On a different note, I have to retake my 3-hour glucose test tomorrow morning. :-( That means I get to fast...again. And get my blood drawn 4 times...again. Let's pray that my numbers haven't gone up! :-)

Ike giving some love to his sister!

34 weeks pregnant (August 20, 2012)

34 weeks pregnant (August 20, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment